Pros and Cons of Being in a Committed Relationship at a Young Age
Are you the type to date around and only stick with one person for a month, tops? Or are you more of that one boyfriend, high school sweetheart, the date for three years plus kind of lover?
There are pros and cons to being in a committed relationship when you’re young. On the pro side, it can offer stability and security in a time when your life is still evolving. It can also help you develop strong, supportive relationships that will last a long time.
However, while being in a committed relationship may be beneficial on some levels, it can also come with its own set of challenges. For example, being in a committed relationship at a young age may put too much pressure on both parties to maintain an idealized image of the relationship.
Why Does It Make Sense to Enter a Committed Relationship at a Young Age?
It’s not all bad, you might even get lucky. It might even happen that you get exactly what you want! For example, if you get together with someone and you both have similar goals, you might really enjoy being in a committed relationship together. There are reasons to enter a relationship before you are even grown, but it depends on how you approach it.
Pros of Being in a Committed Relationship at a Young Age
1. You Can Learn About Yourself and the Relationship You Desire at a Young Age
Most likely you can form a pretty clear picture of your wants and desires and even some of the reasons you are in a relationship with someone. Forming a relationship with someone at such a young age can give you a real insight into who you are and why you make certain choices.
This is an important and worthwhile thing to understand and work on before being in a long-term relationship.
Why would anyone enter a long-term committed relationship at such a young age?
Because they want a family, a family with a dad and a mom, they want to go to Disney World, or maybe they’d rather go to Italy. They’re curious. Young age is a good thing.
2. Learning about others
It allows you to grow with somebody else and learn how to accept others in an entirely selfless way. Having someone there for you can help you get over hard times much easier and help you strengthen your weaknesses and battle your addictions.
3. Good to spend special moments
It’s a great way to spend special holidays with someone you’ve been committed to for a long time.
4. Share expenses
Sharing expenses as far as living, driving, food, and vacations are ultra nice.
Cons of Relationships at Young Age
- You may completely lose yourself and become moulded into something you never were. You may even become your worst enemy if the feelings are too strong.
- If you want to go out with co-workers after work, you might feel obligated to call and “ask for permission,” or it may cause a fight due to a change in routine.
- Jealousy can become overwhelming if you are so serious you want to be married. That makes having opposite-sex friends a lot harder.
- Feeling like you have no control over your own money can be hard. What could be especially troubling is if you feel you have to make decisions together all the time.
- Sometimes, being too wrapped up in one person prevents you from making new friends, and it can quickly destroy existing friendships.
- An early pregnancy due to living with someone too soon can cause a lot of short-term and long-term problems in the relationship.